Reset button killed my imports

m0davis

Reset button killed my imports

Post by m0davis »

I accidentally hit the reset button and it killed all the imports which had no bodies and weren't marked for download.

Is there a way for me to get back to the way it was before I hit reset?

Shouldn't it warn me before it does something so drastic?
alex

Post by alex »

no it just resets the import group, reset in ue doesn't remove flagged or pending messages, so the idea you flagged something, marked something for download and pressed reset to clean irrelevant results.

it is in the search service bar so the button might be used frequently, so no warning.
m0davis

Post by m0davis »

Argh.

Just because YOU use it often and YOU don't have a problem with it (could I make the same comment about the pause button?), doesn't mean it's not a problem. I RARELY use it. I'm sure there are people out there like you, just as I'm sure there are people out there like me.

This reset button is the equivalent of a delete key. Why should a delete key not at least come with an OPTIONAL warning? I consider it a lot of work to go back and find the relevant pars for the ones I just accidentally deleted.

Show some sympathy for your users who don't use UE exactly like you do.

Grumble.
Dave RL

Post by Dave RL »

m0davis,

I understand your frustration with losing your imports.
Alex has many aspects of the program to worry about and you have every right
to make your case that this should work differently.

Alex does control what is implemented :wink: so it makes sense to make your
case in a polite and respectful way or you might not be taken too seriously.
MrEman

Post by MrEman »

Who wants to help people who display a bad attitude?
There is always a chance it is something simple you may have overlooked.
Ask politely and you are sure to be helped.

This forum is for support and help for UE.

Complaints forum is down the hall and to the left..... :lol:
m0davis wrote:Argh.

Just because YOU use it often and YOU don't have a problem with it (could I make the same comment about the pause button?), doesn't mean it's not a problem. I RARELY use it. I'm sure there are people out there like you, just as I'm sure there are people out there like me.

This reset button is the equivalent of a delete key. Why should a delete key not at least come with an OPTIONAL warning? I consider it a lot of work to go back and find the relevant pars for the ones I just accidentally deleted.

Show some sympathy for your users who don't use UE exactly like you do.

Grumble.
alex

Post by alex »

it is a large work which is done by one person, compare with other products for years limping through their roadmap or in the perpetual beta state.

some things i had to put aside so we could have something on the surface, thus the "inner" stage is not completely over, i'll increasingly try to meet user requests as the load alleviates.

also we shouldn't exaggerate too much on both ends.
m0davis

Post by m0davis »

alex wrote:it is a large work which is done by one person, compare with other products for years limping through their roadmap or in the perpetual beta state.

some things i had to put aside so we could have something on the surface, thus the "inner" stage is not completely over, i'll increasingly try to meet user requests as the load alleviates.

also we shouldn't exaggerate too much on both ends.
Sorry if I came off as terribly impolite. It's just that it seemed the response to my question was: forget about it, it's not useful.

I guess I understand if there are higher priority things to be doing at the moment, but it was clear to me that this was both a useful (if not necessary) feature and, as a programmer myself, something easy to code. Also, the response I heard was not "i'll do it later", but rather "it's a bad suggestion".
jaapf

Post by jaapf »

What's wrong with importing again?

There's no way a program will be advanced AND dummy-proof at the same time...

Just don't hit the reset button.....
(It's a bit like hitting [shift][del] in explorer and blaming windows for not being able to get it back from the trashbin. i.m.o.)
Dutch? Visit the Dutch UE/Newspro forum at: http://www.binaries4all.nl
Nederlandse UE handleiding op http://www.binaries4all.nl/ue
English UE tutorial online at http://www.binaries4all.com/ue/
Handy links at: http://jpfx.zapto.org/
alex

Post by alex »

what i'm afraid of is too many options.

currently the question is to enlarge a bit the size of properties panes, but even then it is not possible to add every easy option since apparently there are many many possible, especially if it is five minutes to add. probably it is better to add another pane for small options and rearrange it, it is needed also to think so the already numeruous options won't be too clogged.

as to newspro options when thinking whether to leave them in ue or not i deleted them when one state is mostly unused, in your case apparently many will need the reset button working without warning, since when using the search service dialog bar most results are discarded. before you pressed the button did you know what it does?
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

For real. Either there was a mistake made, or an option was used before it was fully-understood. Either way, it's not the fault of the author/programmer.

At the same time, you shouldn't feel bad. I'm sure that we've all made mistakes while learning to use things. In fact, if we didn't make mistakes, we probably wouldn't learn at all.

I hope you aren't too peeved to continue working with the app, m0davis. This is a group effort, and Alex is much more responsive than anyone I have found elsewhere.
-- GG
m0davis

Post by m0davis »

alex wrote:what i'm afraid of is too many options.

currently the question is to enlarge a bit the size of properties panes, but even then it is not possible to add every easy option since apparently there are many many possible, especially if it is five minutes to add. probably it is better to add another pane for small options and rearrange it, it is needed also to think so the already numeruous options won't be too clogged.

as to newspro options when thinking whether to leave them in ue or not i deleted them when one state is mostly unused, in your case apparently many will need the reset button working without warning, since when using the search service dialog bar most results are discarded. before you pressed the button did you know what it does?
No, I had no clue what the Reset button did before I pressed it.

However, that really is beside the point: any action that causes a non-reversible highly-destructive change should by default come with a warning dialog. I see this as a basic principle of good user interface design. When a user hits shift-del in Windows Explorer, he is warned with a dialog. When a user tries to delete a sheet in Microsoft Excel, he is also warned that the action is irreversible. In UE, it would be a simple matter to add a "don't warn me again" checkbox to the dialog so that users who didn't want a warning could use the button as easily as they do right now.

I hear that you don't want to enlarge the number of options on the properties pane, and to that I say (as you yourself suggest) that categorizing options onto different panes is the way to go. I hope the discussion above proves to you that, however you do it, adding at least this "warn me" option is necessary.
alex

Post by alex »

i don't have a kind of standing like microsoft, they may delegate such a work to a low-level programmer without eating expensive time of main developers because small work is tiresome in the same degree as resolving difficult problems.

just it is very simple mathematics, e.g.

pause button = 2 hours

save windows layout = 1 day if to implement it properly

usenet indexing = 2 weeks server + 1-1.5 week newsreader adjustment

writing a competitive text capable newsreader from scratch if one starts now = 3+ years (at present, in 1998 it was 1/2 year)

writing a competitive binary downloader from scratch = 1.5 year (given that a lot of code in a text capable newsreader is dealing with references)

etc.

there are other considerations, when i'm working on a topic it is important to give it all the time, then it will save a lot of time later since i don't need to comprise all the code again.

small options are infinite, categorization also has its limits, if you have too many panes the result will be the same as having too many options in few panes.