Split newsgroup view does not retain settings

Josef K

Split newsgroup view does not retain settings

Post by Josef K »

Another cosmetic glitch I'm having:

While checking headers in various groups I tend to ALT+SPACE to split the view so I can download a few articles at a time and view the NFOs or whatever while still being able to navigate the actual articles.

However, sometimes the split does not remember its position. I've noticed it when I've restarted UE and also when I've gone from ALT+SPACEing in a virtual group to a single group. After a restart it sometimes remembers the position, except for the times when I go to view a single (i.e. non-virtual) group.

So far I haven't noticed any particular pattern to this, except for what's stated above.
alex

Post by alex »

what is the exact sequence? i don't see any problem here.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I just restarted UE to test:
  • I opened a virtual group (four groups inside), ALT+SPACE and the split appeared at the bottom (the default position).

I move the split to the middle of the screen (so I can see a reasonable amount of text without having to scroll and also enough articles to be able to navigate comfortably).

The VG is closed and reopened and after ALT+SPACE, the split appears again at the bottom.

I again move the split to the middle.

Close, reopen and ALT+SPACE once more and the split is once again at the bottom.
I've also just tried this exact same sequence with a single (non-virtual) group and the same thing happens. This now appears to be more reproducible than I thought - I just wonder why the split appears to remember its position most of the time when I check my headers as normal, through opening different (virtual) groups - only failing on single groups. I never really tested in this particular way before - always having noticed it by opening different groups. Do you see on your end what I'm seeing?
alex

Post by alex »

not exactly but i see something, it seems if several groups are opened it remembers the setting from the open group and not the last group with changed split position.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Ah... I hate being the only person to have a problem - glad you see it as well. :P

You have something to work with at least because this has been driving me nuts for a while. (Click, drag..., click, drag...) It's one of the things I've been holding back on mentioning until you've fixed any crashes or other, more important stuff.
alex

Post by alex »

in short now the split window size is the size of such in the splitted view you see in the last time.

e.g. if you open one view, split it, then open another view, split it with a different size, close the latter view so you see the first view again it keeps the split ratio of the first view. but if the first view weren't split it would keep the settings of the second view.

i don't know whether it needs to be changed.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Is it not possible to propagate the splitter position to all group views, as with the column widths? Or maybe a way to change where the default position is?

The ideal for me would be a box in Properties for the splitter height to enter a number which would be a percentage. Then I could just enter '50' and always have a half and half split view.