Some text articles are not displaying bodies

Post Reply
Josef K
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:29 pm

Subject: Paul Stoddart said it best...
Author: "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, Jun 19 22:06

			<group>rec.autos.sport.f1</group>
		</groups>

		<segments>
			<segment bytes="1479" number="1">y7lte.70146$6g3.45759@tornado.texas.rr.com</segment>
		</segments>
	</file>
<!-- Generated by Usenet Explorer http://www.usenetexplorer.com -->
</nzb>
What I've found is that if you download the article and go to Properties->Articles and check Show all fields but hidden, the body will show up. However this results in too much to wade through each time and will quickly get annoying, especially for short posts.

As the headers I prefer to see, I like to have shown:

Subject
From
Date
Lines
Newsgroups
X-Newsreader

At first I thought it was because I'd changed the config for this but it's not the case.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

i've fixed it here, it will be in the next release towards the end of the week.

thanks.
Josef K
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Josef K »

Does the fix also apply to long(ish) text bodies that are truncated?

I've seen this mostly happen when I've downloaded an article while it was focused. Half the text is missing but if I click off and back on it, then it'll display properly. I have the view split so I can still navigate articles while reading the bodies. I think it would be fine if I had to double-click to open the articles to read them but I can't confirm as I don't use this method.

If you need examples, go to alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.0-day and filter Subject: nfo and Lines: <500.

EDIT: Actually, v1.0.3 fixed a scrollbar problem, maybe that's fixed it because I'm trying to find a specific article with this truncation effect. I'll keep my eye on it in the future in case I'm just unable to find any such problem articles at the moment.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

the not showing body problem is not connected to redrawing.

yes, better give me a link to a specific article, if i see it here it is very fast to fix, scroll bar took about a week since i couldn't reproduce it, so i needed to guess what it could be even if i don't see it. in v1.03 i applied the same scrollbar fix to article views (so if it was connected to scrolling the issue may be fixed now), just there is some interface function in the microsoft framework with my code around its call and when i checked how it works i saw it ignores recursive calls so i did the same and it fixed the problem.
Josef K
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Josef K »

I'll try to find some specifics. Mostly it's on those stupid NFOs with half a mile of ASCII art before any of the useful stuff. However, it'll probably occur on any body where it's quite long - I just need to find something that currently exists in some group, somewhere.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

long do you mean a long line or with many lines?

nfo is usually no text with attachment?
Josef K
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Josef K »

I should clarify:

The group I referred to earlier (alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.0-day) has posters that tend to post the NFO in plain text - not as an attachment. So you can imagine it as though you could view NFOs directly inline inside UE. (A feature request in itself since they are essentially just text themselves :) )

The lengths are normal widths (word wrap around 80chr) and a few hundred lines long. This is the only group I frequent that has posts of this nature and I don't check any other groups with text bodies as long as these.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

try to check whether there is a difference between v1.02 http://www.netwu.com/ue/ue102reg.zip and v1.03 if there is it was scrollbar.
Josef K
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Josef K »

I need to go out for a while right now but I'll check when I get back. I should only be an hour or two.
Josef K
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Josef K »

Typical! I can't reproduce it with v1.0.2. :evil: The only thing I can think of that I'm not doing right now is that I've really only noticed this while I'm downloading other things. I fail to see how that could create a display problem, though.

I'll lookout for this and flag any articles which I find that show this issue.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

if the other problem is still there (not the original problem which started the thread when you gave the nzb and i've fixed it here already) all we need is also one example
Post Reply