Attach all searvers to a newsgroup

poma5

Attach all searvers to a newsgroup

Post by poma5 »

In NewsPro there was a way to keep/attach all servers to a newsgroup even though a server reports that a particular group is not on the server. You could still ask for articles by message ID and if the message ID was on the server you could still get the article even though the server says that the group is not on the server. Usenet Explorer drops servers from its server list if the server reports that it does not have that particular group. Their used to be a way to make the servers stay in the list anyway and still ask for the message articles with NewsPro. In particular I mean freenet.de where you need to ask for articles by message ID when wanting to download binaries.
Does this make sense?
alex

Post by alex »

the case is pretty rare, the workaround is to create another copy of the server which is set not to download headers and attach it to such groups (if the number of connections is limited to put the into subset), or if you can avoid downloading headers from the server you can keep the only copy.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

alex wrote:create another copy of the server which is set not to download headers and attach it to such groups
Hmm... :idea:

This has thrown up an interesting possibility for me that I'd not thought of before.

Large groups I rarely download from but occasionally check when I have time I try not to refresh headers from as they eat at certain servers' bandwidth. However, if I add dupes of my pay servers then I can set them msg-id direct then pull the headers from my ISP and, for me, if it's not on my ISP then I won't miss it. This method will also speed up headers refreshes, being only from one server.

This is coolness, indeed! :D