A couple of questions...

emeloan

A couple of questions...

Post by emeloan »

Finishing my second week using UE and enjoying it more and more. Would someone please tell me a couple of things...

1. What do the numbers after the group names in the newsgroups box mean? [~19~], [~2~] and [115585]. The 115585 might be articles in my database for that group? But what are the small numbers?

2. What does the "Apply Retention" option do?

3. Is there a way to mark ALL groups "Old" in one operation when I am through looking at them? I'm currently marking each one as I leave it. Will articles automatically be marked old at some point even if I don't do it?? If so... when?

4. Is there a way to have the "New" filter turned on by default? I'd like to start by just seeing new articles but have the option to see the old ones if I want to go back and get earlier parts.

Many thanks!

Ed Meloan
Josef K

Re: A couple of questions...

Post by Josef K »

emeloan wrote:1. What do the numbers after the group names in the newsgroups box mean? [~19~], [~2~] and [115585]. The 115585 might be articles in my database for that group? But what are the small numbers?
'[~19~]' and '[~2~]' are the number of downloaded bodies within the group(s) you're looking at. '[115585]' shows you the number of headers in a group while it's loaded.
emeloan wrote:2. What does the "Apply Retention" option do?
Set retention for each group or folder in Properties->Newsgroups. You can manually apply rentention or check Properties->General->Apply retention automatically on load.
emeloan wrote:3. Is there a way to mark ALL groups "Old" in one operation when I am through looking at them? I'm currently marking each one as I leave it. Will articles automatically be marked old at some point even if I don't do it?? If so... when?
You could do this by creating a folder and moving all your groups into that folder and opening all at once that way. Then you could mark all old. This depends on how much your system can handle all groups loaded though. I think articles will stay as new until retention kicks in and that would mean (for me) 14 days' worth of new articles.
emeloan wrote:4. Is there a way to have the "New" filter turned on by default?
This has been requested. Maybe when Alex has finished implementing filters, etc. he will add more requested features. However, what you ask here may not be at all necessary depending on how filters are implemented. I expect you will be able to create a filter to show new articles on group load.
alex

Post by alex »

in addition you can read about retention in UE.txt

there is a bearded man icon on the toolbar - 'mark all messages old', you can also assign a shortcut through file menu->default toolbar (use the menu when customizing), but it marks messages old only for the current group.

headers of unloaded newsgroups except those with bodies or somewhere in the task manager are not readily available. in principle there is a mechanism to do something on newsgroup load regarding some prior action (e.g. when you reset unloaded newsgroups it just remembers that you invoked reset and on the next newsgroup load the program will actually perform the reset), but it doesn't currently cover marking old.