Usenet Explorer / NewsPro reliability comparison poll

How compare Usenet Explorer to NewsPro reliability?

NewsPro is much more reliable
3%
NewsPro is more reliable
No votes
Both programs are very reliable
11%
Both programs are reliable
No votes
Usenet Explorer is more reliable
32%
Usenet Explorer is much more reliable
55%

Total votes: 38

alex

Usenet Explorer / NewsPro reliability comparison poll

Post by alex »

Usenet Explorer is freshly written code which cannot enjoy the same testing time span of many years like NewsPro but I would speculate is better organized internally, so I want to know how its reliability compares to NewsPro reliability to decide further steps which may affect further development.
Dave RL

Post by Dave RL »

A slight comment on my vote:

I feel that UE is far more reliable that NP not only due to the
lack of crashes but also due to the reduced load it places on my machine.
I can depend on UE doing what I want and doing it quickly.

It has been many months since I've had UE crash or fail in any way.
With NP I would constantly be adjusting my groups and would be in fear
of having to restart from a crash and losing the database; having to
retrieve all the headers again.

enjoy your two weeks off alex 8)
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Just like Dave RL put it.
I don't have to be scared to end up with a corrupted database anymore.
I can even wait a few days, then get headers, and still it works like a charm.
With newspro missing one day would almost certainly give me a corrupted database.
Also the deleting of headers is extremely fast with UE.
With newspro this could take several minutes to delete.
alex

Post by alex »

Dave RL wrote:enjoy your two weeks off alex 8)
i suspect i'm tired but my teacher of physics used to tell me it is laziness :)

what i need to decide whether the two projects can exist, since apparently i cannot develop two of them in the same time.

despite no activity on newspro forum judging by accesses to version_r.htm (checking for updates, registered versions, at most once per launch) newspro is still used significantly but we almost don't have new users. very few newspro users switched to ue, i could talk about discounts but in the past i didn't notice it was an issue so i'm not sure it is a significant factor.

another thing i cannot be resolving organizational issues and programming in the same time since i then have difficulty to concentrate, something drives me crazy (i think it is why there was delay factor with imlementing of filters, right now all goes much faster).

from other side ue is not known at all (no references almost anywhere, if you look on google and it is for one and half months!), so it would be natural to use newspro home page for ue with link to newspro from this page to make things less complicated to understand for newcomers, and since i didn't elaborate on ue history i guess the project is a puzzle for most newspro users as well.

maybe before i'll disappear (i may check the forum occationally but at most time i won't have access to internet - yes there are such places left :) ) i put a forum section with the issues and then when i'm back i'll try to decide what to do about it, just i have difficulty to formulate these matters like my mind demands unconditional understanding from users.

in short there is a good puzzle here.
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

Alex - To be honest, I probably wouldn't have known that UE exists unless a friend had asked me about it.

Is there a way that you can advise NP users of UE's existence? Perhaps an "upgrade available" notice when they use NP, or even an email sent to registered NP users? Normally, I hate unsolicated emails, but I would have APPRECIATED a notice about the release of UE.
-- GG
hholland

Post by hholland »

Price is definately NOT an issue. I think more will switch to the new UE as the functions are added. NP was outstanding, and I wait with anticipation to see the automatic functions (get headers, download and save etc).

Slip a note out to the NP users that a 'new version' is available for purchase. I think they will jump at it. :)

Enjoy your break, you deserve it. :)
edfreeman

Post by edfreeman »

UE is very fairly priced, and I'd suspect that those who haven't switched either don't know about UE or are pleased with what they have. I forget when I purchased NP, but it was years ago and Alex has continued to update it with no request for additional funds. My unsolicited opinion would be to leave NP where it is and only work on UE, since it is likely the revenue source of today. NP is good where it is, but it couldn't compete with UE in a head to head performance test, methinks.
I agree with the poster who said UE needs more advertising . . . need to get it on the usenet providers websites, maybe extend the trial period so newbies will have time to figure it out.
I voted UE much more reliable, as it recently survived a system crash and reboot and picked right up where it left off. NP couldn't do that, at least not consistently.
alex

Post by alex »

right now i can only think about finishing the filter part (it drifted somewhat from newspro implementation also maybe on the interface level maybe not).

maybe users should try to push their news services to include ue as a recommended newsreader or try to mention the program anywhere. i'm not quite fit for anything here beyond programming matters, i guess it is a weak point of the project as a product.
bassie

Post by bassie »

but it looks it is getting more known slowly:

www.usenetexplorer.com
www.hotdownloads.com
http://docs.newzbin.com/Newzbin:NZB_Guide

for example.
alex

Post by alex »

usenetserver just it happened i was in correspondence with them at that time after quickly putting "testing" it froze.

newzbin i was discussing with them then the search algorithm

hotdownloads is the only genuine reference without me being somethere around :)

but anyway i gave the picture in the detailed message above, now i'm away in my mind from that being into the filter topic, i've just figured out the layout of controls in properties.
bassie

Post by bassie »

but you know,

these kind of things can go exponential.

At the start it can be very slow, but eventually everybody knows.

It's called the snowball effect.
Robert2413

Post by Robert2413 »

As far as I am concerned, you can consider NewsPro as "mature" code and stop working on it. UE's performance is overwhelmingly superior and I would suggest your developing it exclusively from now on.

I posted a strong recommendation in one of the anime binary groups but I don't know if anyone paid any attention.

You really need to get UE on the usual shareware sites, along with some positive user feedback.

Also, it needs good documentation before it will get good user feedback. Right now, someone without NewsPro experience is likely to be lost. The concept of aggregating servers and newsgroups into "superservers" and "supergroups" is not familiar, although the user will quickly appreciate its benefits once he or she has the program set up and running. Also, NZB and XPAT searches are advanced concepts for many and really require thorough, step-by-step tutorials.
jaapf

Post by jaapf »

Robert2413 wrote: Also, it needs good documentation before it will get good user feedback. Right now, someone without NewsPro experience is likely to be lost. The concept of aggregating servers and newsgroups into "superservers" and "supergroups" is not familiar, although the user will quickly appreciate its benefits once he or she has the program set up and running. Also, NZB and XPAT searches are advanced concepts for many and really require thorough, step-by-step tutorials.
My Dutch tutorial is partly up (Quickstart) and will be expanded to show importing of NZB-files soon.

I'm Also making an English one, which will be online somewhere in august, when our English Binaries4all.com forum will be launched.

After the NZB-expansion and translation to English is finished, a more comprehensive tutorial for "experts" will be made, and bit-by-bit brought online. The intension is to create a complete online manual, including every aspect of UE in detail.

As you might expect, this will take quite some time, and I do have a regular 9-5 daytime job. so progress will be slow, but progress there will be....
Dutch? Visit the Dutch UE/Newspro forum at: http://www.binaries4all.nl
Nederlandse UE handleiding op http://www.binaries4all.nl/ue
English UE tutorial online at http://www.binaries4all.com/ue/
Handy links at: http://jpfx.zapto.org/
dengle

Post by dengle »

Since i am a "power user", or rather I like to have every group that I monitor loaded at once 8) , UE is far more stable than Newspro ever was.

And, in the event of a crash, power outage, or other catastrophe, the worst case scenario is you will lose only the changes to the group(s) that have been updated, not the entire database which is a huge improvement.

overall speed is better. The interface features are being improved upon by Alex constantly.

The only things missing, IMO are an autosave for each newsgroup database, scheduling header downloads, and a little better filter GUI, which i'm sure are on Alex's to-do list.