Create New Folder in the Save Attachements Dialog

Cynyster

Create New Folder in the Save Attachements Dialog

Post by Cynyster »

Hi Alex. Have to say I love the software (will probably praise you at each turn I love this program)
I have come across an annoyance. When I Hit "Download and save attachments". In many cases I am downloading albums. I highlite the folder I desire and click the create new folder (which works fine) it creates a new folder already highlited so I can rename it what I want. Like "Pink floyd" and it stays highlited but when I hit create folder again to make a sub folder with the album name it creates the new folder but it is not selected (the Pink Floyd folder is still selected) I then have to right click the "new folder" and choose rename... then rename it...After I rename it, "Pink Floyd" is still selected I then have to select the proper folder before hitting OK
alex

Post by alex »

it is how the standard windows browse for folder dialog behaves. if you pay attention you'll see happens with every application.

in principle i could revamp newspro file dialog, but it has less capabilites (you cannot delete folder with files, well, maybe i can do it so you can) and it doesn't accept network paths like \\...\

i didn't see third party code which does it if i find i put it instead.

if someone knows direct me to the code (Visual C++ compatible, it is like a simple function which takes path a parameter and returns resulting path), if i would have nothing left to work on i could write it myself.
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

I had a similar issue described to me by a friend - I could not reproduce the problem that he was having on my end at that time, BUT NOW I can?!?! Here is how he described it:
In UE, if you are in a folder that does not have a folder in it called "New Folder" and you hit the "New Folder" button, a folder called "New Folder" will be created without the option to rename it. Subsequent hitting of the "New Folder" creates a "New Folder(2)" WITHOUT the option to rename it. I'm running Windows 2003 with all the latest patches and service packs. I tried the same functionality through explorer and through Word and everything works as expected.
Dengle made the following comment regarding this problem:
This is a bug in the Microsoft control being used. I've recreated the problem with other applications that use the same control.
My friend and I assumed from that point that perhaps it was a Windows 2003 Server OS issue. However, if I do the same thing now, using my same XP Pro machine, I get the same results as he does.

Here is a step-by-step of how I reproduce this problem:

1 - right click on an article in UE
2 - download and save attachments
3 - when save dialog appears, click on a, existing folder and hit the "make new folder" button to create a subfolder within that existing folder
4 - allow the new subfolder to remain named "New Folder."
5 - repeat steps 1-3 to make a new subfolder in the SAME pre-existing folder as used in step 3. This time, notice that the folder "New Folder 2" is created, but it is neither highlighted for renaming nor selected.

If you do this same thing in notepad, for example, the "New Folder 2" subfolder appears highlighted for renaming after it is created. If you do it in MS Word, the "New Folder" creation process is different - you get a dialog box to name the new folder before it is created rather than a highlighted new folder ready for renaming.

Hopefully, if this will work for you on your end when you get back from vacation, it will help you to troubleshoot this problem. It does seem specific to UE, as I haven't noticed it with other apps.
-- GG
alex

Post by alex »

this is the standard dialog, maybe if an application uses non-standard dialog the behaviour is different.

the good news is the problem has been fixed in windows vista (loghorn), just someone checked and told me, why they don't fix it in xp in some update i have no idea.
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

Hmmm...okay. I'm not a programmer, so I assumed that UE's "Make New Folder" button, as opposed to the typical icon with an asterick on it used by MS apps, indicated that there might be something different about the process, but I guess not. :oops:

I'll re-submit the issue to a buddy who develops TechNet support and see if he knows of any plans in the works for a patch. I asked about it before, but never got an answer from him...

Have a good vacation, Alex! :)
-- GG
hholland

Post by hholland »

While we are on this general topic, would like to see a "Download and save to a new folder" right click for those folders/groups that have a default save directory attached. I sometimes change my mind :)
Invader

Post by Invader »

Could I Possibly add my 2 cents here.

:idea: An option to save Subject line as the folder name would be Fantastic. NO Brilliant in Fact :D

Because at the moment I'm Having issues with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to rename folders to recreate the above wish, the dialog box seems to 'keep' a previous Ctrl-C and won't let me paste my new name ( old name keeps coming back all the time ). ( Reminds me of the atari days :roll: )

I'm Highlighting the Files in the download list (all the same name in the subject)
ctrl-c
right click - save attachments
when dialog appears - make new folder ( wherever on drive)
ctrl-v
and bang - after a few goes the previous saved name keeps popping up

anyone else ?. Please it can't just be me or is it windoze dialog again.

Windoze XP SP2 - UE v1.1
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Invader wrote:I'm Highlighting the Files in the download list (all the same name in the subject)
That's your problem. Highlight only one of the files and copy that, then select all the rest in the series and save. UE does not copy all selected subject lines - only one at a time.
Invader

Post by Invader »

Forgot to mention that I tried that already. Still keeps the previous copy.

I'm Going to try a Close UE and re-open then try again, after my Downloading has finished. I'll Keep you posted.
Oh BTW it does let you highlight more than one, uses the last one your mouse finished on as the name. Newspro does the same and it works flawless, ( but it dont use that windoze dialog box thats why )
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

You can just close UE anytime and it will resume downloading when you restart it. There's no need to wait until it's completed everything. I always restart UE after I've checked all my groups and marked for download so I can free up any memory.
Invader wrote:and bang - after a few goes the previous saved name keeps popping up
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Explain 'after a few goes' a bit more in depth. Are you saying that nothing will paste until you've CTRL+V'd a few times?
Invader

Post by Invader »

I meant after about 3 Different Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V it started happening.

Downloads Finished. Oh dear now Nothing at all will Ctrl-C in Download Tab only. If I go looking for the files in there relevant groups I can Copy and Paste them to a folder. Hummm Have I corrupted something me wonder. I've tried UE extractor again to re-install over itself to no avail. I think i'll have to wait for Alex to get back, to sort this one
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

You never could copy a subject line in the Downloads pane. You can, though, right-click and select 'Save path' in the Save pane to change the directory or right-click in the Downloads pane and select 'Save attachments' where you'll be able to select a new directory.
dengle

Post by dengle »

do you have any office xp or 2003 apps open? there's a clipboard manager that can cause ctrl c ctrl v functions to act strangely.
Invader

Post by Invader »

Nope. None at all, this is solely an internet and newsgroup machine :wink:
Bert

Post by Bert »

I always select the group of headers which I want to save, press ctrl-c, make a new folder and paste it as new name. No problem, it actually takes the first or last headername, but that's fine for me.

But "save to a new folder" with a preselcted name from the header subject is indeed a very good idea. Ofcoarse with the possibility of user intervention so we can edit the suggested foldername.