Renaming Servers

Gary Gnews

Renaming Servers

Post by Gary Gnews »

I have been using, among others, news-50.giganews.com, but when I upgraded my account, I was forced to move to news.giganews.com. Since both servers are from the same provider and they both contain the same headers, I figured I would just rename the existing news-50.giganews.com server to news.giganews.com. Well, the rename went just fine, but UE still tried to access the news-50 server. I got 502 errors, but UE reported that news.giganews.com was reporting the error, but it was actually still news-50 that UE tried to access. BTW, I flushed DNS and am using so WINS or routing tables that cached the IP address. So, apparently, either the server name or the IP from the original entry is unchanged in UE when you use the "rename" operation. I had to dump the renamed entry (along with a couple gigs worth of headers) and create a new server. This seems to be a bug that I thought I should report...
-- GG
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

Was "Resolve DNS on every connect" (Properties->General) checked? UE probably caches the IP address indefinitely when this is unchecked (which I believe is the default).
Regards, Hubert
dengle

Post by dengle »

If, for some reason, it's still doing it, use your hosts. file (under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) to add a name lookup for the news-50.xxx that actually points to the news.xxx server's ip address.
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

Hubert wrote:Was "Resolve DNS on every connect" (Properties->General) checked? UE probably caches the IP address indefinitely when this is unchecked (which I believe is the default).
It wasn't checked, actually...but I thought that if the server was renamed, it wouldn't use a chached IP for a server with a completely different name. I thought that option would only be used if you have a server that takes on a new IP periodically. *shrug*

I fixed the problem by creating a new server entry. When I have time, I'll test the problem again with the suggestion you made...THANKS!
-- GG