Can I run two instances at once

stevendm

Can I run two instances at once

Post by stevendm »

Is it possible to have two instances of UE running at the same time? I would use two separate data areas and different usenet providers. Would I get any data corruption? Has this been tested?

Thanks

Steven
Rodent

Re: Can I run two instances at once

Post by Rodent »

stevendm wrote:Is it possible to have two instances of UE running at the same time? I would use two separate data areas and different usenet providers. Would I get any data corruption? Has this been tested?
Works fine for me. You just need to create a separate database folder for each.

Then create a shortcut for each where you include the path to the database in the Target field under properties, like this:

"C:\Program Files\UsenetExplorer\UE.exe" E:\Data\UE\database02

It only works for the reg version though, AFAIK - you have to enter your reg code each time you create a new instance.

Rodent
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

Works like a champ. Thanks.
dengle

Post by dengle »

You should not need two separate databases, however. If you want to use a certain provider for one set of newgroups and another server for another set of servers, you can detach the news server from the newsgroups in question
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

I understand, but I want to be able to specify, in a single newsgroup, which server to use for dl. I think I need two databases. The alternative that I have tried and got to work is to subscribe to a newsgroup twice and put each one in a different folder with a different set of servers.

The simple way is to have two databases and two instances.

Thanks for the help