Search service down

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Marten Fokkens

Post by Marten Fokkens »

No problem. It's OK now.

Regards Marten
alex

Post by alex »

i'm restarting the server with higher retention (50 days, the first upgrade stage i mentioned before, same server software, just more usable RAM), should be up in about 10 minutes.
alex

Post by alex »

i've just restarted the server with 60 day retention without any software modification running on a dedicated desktop grade computer, i'm not sure to keep it like that and push it further (maybe now with some kind of software optimization) or to use a different model with which allows much higher retention like double etc. (also needs a simple software modification but then one more computer is needed), RAM usage seems to be ok though, anyway it is worthy to check how it works.
alex

Post by alex »

i'm restarting the server again with 67 days retention (max what usenet providers give is now only 65 even if they claim more) should be up in less than 10 minutes.
alex

Post by alex »

i won't announce single restarts any longer since they take only 10 minutes, but we'll keep the thread for other occasions.
MageMaster

Search Service Status

Post by MageMaster »

This may be the wrong place to post this, but is there a plan to have an inprogram status light or anything? Reason I ask, is due to that I just about never close UE at all, and it looks like that check for new version only executes on startup? If the status light was off or someother color due to a new release I would be more informed. :) hehe

Thanks,
MageMaster
alex

Post by alex »

as to the indexing server it is running continuously, if there will be anything new like i'll be checking something again i'll just put it on the forum category description page.

as to ue i think it checks for the new version periodically, it implemented it like that during testing stage before official release and left it then (if iremember it right it checks for an update only after you downloaded an article body, it is the trigger and i think once in 24 hours).
dengle

Short down-time

Post by dengle »

The index server computer is being physically moved. It will be down for approximately 15 to 20 minutes during this time starting now, 12:57PM EST
bassie

Post by bassie »

sometimes this story happens:

i search for files with the search.

Then files are found.

I go away for a while and find that the search service is down. Then i try to download the files i found before the search service was down (i see that because the program says there is no connection...)
But that does not work, because it says that there is no connection with the search service.

Does this mean that the results of the search are not stored by the program?

I cannot repeat it now because everything is working.
alex

Post by alex »

import header stage requires server too.

the server is constantly up. i upgraded the server about 26 hours ago, it indicated by then about 65 hours of running time (no restart since moving the server). it has automatic restart mechanism as well, but it didn't crash so there were no spontaneous restarts and the new computer looks ok (now i know i was stupid always buying intel), so no problems. if it restarted by itself i'll see it. if i restart it myself because of software upgrade it takes (in fact any kind of restart would take the same) about 10 minutes but i don't upgrade it frequently.

if you see server down, check the dns of ueservice.dyndns.org is resolved (you may try to use the server ip address then although i cannot assure you it will be always constant).
dengle

Post by dengle »

due to extremely bad weather, internet connectivity is down to the index server. a call has been placed with the isp in question, however there is no eta as power and cable lines are down in multiple locations.
dengle

Post by dengle »

Figures. About 30 minutes after I posted the previous message, internet connectivity was restored :-P