Scroll Bar and Auto-Get

GaryGnews

Scroll Bar and Auto-Get

Post by GaryGnews »

First, I'd like to point out a glitch: When opening a group/folder, the listing of headers comes up as usual, but the pane where they appear often lacks the scroll-bar on the side. I can get it back by switching between XP and Classic "themes," and I can scroll with the mouse wheel just fine. But, initially, there is no bar there at all and the header text runs all the way to the edge of the pane where the scroll bar should be.

Also, am I missing something or is there no "auto-get" option for downloading headers in UE? If it's there, I don't see it...help?
alex

Post by alex »

is it connected to the xp theme?
i'm just using the classic theme always, but should be no difference between them.

try to describe the problem how exactly you open the group in more detail since i didn't see it here.

if i see it - it is easy to fix, just to call "recalculate layout" or something like that.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I've noticed this also but in a different place. When I download an article and press ALT+Space to view it in the split pane, sometimes I have to ALT+Space twice to remove it and then get it back again to see the vertical scroll bar in the pane. Sometimes the text in the pane is truncated as well, with the solution being again to ALT+Space twice.

I have WinXP set to Classic (I hate XP themes) and UE's theme is Office 2003.
GaryGnews

Post by GaryGnews »

I use the classic theme, but when I lose the scroll bar, I have just found that switching themes is a way to get it back...I don't think that the issue has anything to do with the theme itself other than whatever makes it go away when you switch themes.

I have experienced the problem a couple more times since posting, but I have been unable to find a sure-fire way to MAKE it happen. I'll keep working on it, but just know that it is a minor issue since you can still scroll with the mouse wheel or keyboard.

I have to say that I am completely blown away by UE. I have a high-end machine dedicated to usenet. I used to run six instances of NP to get the retention and number of groups that I want. My machine could handle it, but it was pretty much drained of resources 24/7 and global searches took several minutes. With one instance of UE, I am using more groups than I was in all six instances of NP with 30-day retention, my machine's resources are barely tapped, and I can do a global search in a matter of seconds. Really, an amazing accomplishment. WTG, man.

BTW, I still haven't figured out how to configure when/if UE should auto-get headers...am I missing something?
GaryGnews

Post by GaryGnews »

Alright, Alex. The missing scroll-bar seems to have something to do with specific groups. alt.binaries.dvd is one that seems to open every time with no scroll bar.

If I open a folder containing a.b.svs and other groups, the scroll bar shows up.

If I open a.b.dvd by itself (by double-clicking on it), the scroll bar is missing. Then, if I change themes, to classic or xp (depending on which one I am on when I open the group), the scroll bar appears.

I hope this helps you figure out what's causing this to happen.

Post by Guest »

a.b.svs = a.b.dvd - sorry, typo.
alex

Post by alex »

maybe specific number of entries in the list, when you press ctrl+a in the group, how many entries it shows in the title?

if you apply a filter and then clear it the scrollbar is back?
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

alex wrote:maybe specific number of entries in the list, when you press ctrl+a in the group, how many entries it shows in the title?
alex wrote:if you apply a filter and then clear it the scrollbar is back?
Yes, it is.
-- GG
alex

Post by alex »

is it easily reproducible?

you just run the program, no tasks, and open group several times and you have a good chance not see the scroll bar?

would you like to send me encrypted database only with this group so i'll check it? i could explain how to do it in a private message.
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

Sure, I'll help any way I can. Feel free to PM me with instructions. This is a very easily-reproducable problem - happens just as you described.
-- GG
alex

Post by alex »

it is there
bassie

Post by bassie »

maybe this is because of the width of the subject column?

If i make in one newsgroup the subject column narrow, and then i select "propagate current column order/widths" every newsgroup looks okay now.

maybe?
alex

Post by alex »

no the vertical scroll bar always should be there unless when one page can accomodate all list entries.
Invader

Post by Invader »

Hi Alex would just like to add my two cents.

Have noticed that if I have the group sorted by the date (most recent first - arrow down) it always starts at the oldest. So have to mouse wheel all the way to the top (Scroll bar is always missing when you close and re-open). If you change back to sort by subject - Scroll bar always appears, when you close and re-open

I have the workspace open and the taskbar docked. Using Grippered theme (doesn't matter - happens with all) and just using the news.software.readers group. (1492 articles)

Also you can get the scroll bar back by opening another group and switching back and forth between them. If you do this quickly back and forth you will see a slight redraw of the windows minimise and exit buttons like in the very top Usenet Explorer title bar.

If you require anymore info i'll try me best. ( You might have this solved now ) :D
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

Yes, this issue is no longer present in v1.03. It was a very minor issue, but Alex deserves credit for working on it tirelessly (well, we were both tired at times, but you know what I mean ;)) until it was fixed.

Thanks, Alex! UE ROCKS!!
-- GG