A Couple of questions from a new user

emeloan

A Couple of questions from a new user

Post by emeloan »

I have used BNR2 for a number of years but have been looking for software that was more reliable. When j0sef_k wrote about lswitching from BNR to Usenet Explorer, I downloaded a copy and have been struggling with it for the past week! Since I haven't used NewsPro, all these options are a real challenge :roll:!

I've finally gotten comfortable with downloading headers, selecting attachments I want and downloading them. But I do have a few questions I'd really appreciate some of you "old timers" answering.

1. How do I look at headers from previous days that I have already looked at once? The second part of something comes through today and I want to go back and get the first part from the day before but I can't figure out how to redisplay those headers!

2. When I want to look at an attached INFO file, I have to download the attachment and then go to the directory and view it with a text editor. There must be a simpler way. How can I view an INFO file in Usenet Explorer?

The more I use UE the more impressed I am with it! I registered the software today and I am looking forward to getting more comfortable with it. You have done a GREAT job, Alex!

Ed Meloan
Josef K

Re: A Couple of questions from a new user

Post by Josef K »

emeloan wrote:1. How do I look at headers from previous days that I have already looked at once? The second part of something comes through today and I want to go back and get the first part from the day before but I can't figure out how to redisplay those headers!
The way I use UE is to refresh headers (making sure Properties->General->Mark new headers old on load is not checked) then when opening group(s), click the 'New' checkbox on the filter bar to show only newly refreshed headers. When I've checked all my headers, I click the 'Mark all headers old' button. The next time I open the group, all but deleted headers will be visible. If you click on 'New' on the filter bar then no more headers will be visible until you have refreshed headers. Obviously, you can show a combination of different headers using variations of checks in the filter bar. So in your case (I'm guessing you use a method similar to mine?) you'd either open the group and not filter at all, uncheck 'New' or you'd check 'Old' to show only headers marked old.
emeloan wrote:2. When I want to look at an attached INFO file, I have to download the attachment and then go to the directory and view it with a text editor. There must be a simpler way. How can I view an INFO file in Usenet Explorer?
Either double-click the articles in question or press (I think the default is ALT+Space or you can make it so by right-clicking the toolbar and setting the shortcut there to whatever you want) to split the pane. Either method will display the body of the post where you can double-click the icon or right-click on it to open it.

This assumes you've downloaded and not downloaded and saved the article. These are two different things. Unlike BNR, UE does not assume you want to keep everything you download. It's useless to tell you shortcuts (since I've customised all my important ones) so just right click the articles with NFOs and download or download immediately. Depending on how you've set up UE, articles are marked as old as they are saved so they disappear from view if you have 'New' checked. So just download and view before deciding to save or delete.
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

Your Question #1 - I am assuming that these headers are marked as old or read and that's why they are not showing up. But, if you load the group and tick the "old" and "new" (or "read" and "unread") check boxes in the toolbar, you should see all of the headers. If that doesn't work, then perhaps the headers have somehow been deleted. If that is the case, tick the "del" and "^del" boxes.

Your Question #2 - If you open an article that contains an .NFO file, double-clicking on the icon that appears inside the post should open the file with whatever utility you have to Windows set to use for opening NFO file types.

Hope this helps!
-- GG
alex

Post by alex »

to view the nfo file you can also use the 'play' entry from the context menu without opening the article body (just associate .nfo with the editor, through windows explorer or using once 'open with' from the article view and then checking 'always use this program to open this kind of file')

the play entry doesn't have a default shortcut (i tried to put it a couple of times in the past but it always coincided with something so i left it to users) but you can assign it through the customize dialog (the right most downward arrow then folow the menus to the keyboard pane).

apart from marking 'read' or 'old' you can also 'delete' headers, then to see deleted headers you just check 'del' in the quick filter, if you check 'del' and '^del' it will show everything.
emeloan

Post by emeloan »

Thanks for the prompt replies! I've printed out the suggestions and will spend some time trying them later tonight.

I appreciate the help!

I also appreciate your telling me about the program, J0s K! I would not have known about it if you hadn't mentioned it in the BNR forum <smile>.

Ed Meloan
emeloan

Post by emeloan »

Thanks for the prompt replies! I've printed out the suggestions and will spend some time trying them later tonight.

I appreciate the help!

I also appreciate your telling me about the program, J0s K! I would not have known about it if you hadn't mentioned it in the BNR forum <smile>.

Ed Meloan