Computer Crash, time to reconfigure UE?

jsfarmer

Computer Crash, time to reconfigure UE?

Post by jsfarmer »

Ok, so my computer crashed, and i do not believe UE had anything to do with it (I was trying to configure some hardware at the time). But the problem is that UE was running in the background and when I ran it again it only lists say 5 of my newsgroups and none of the servers.

1. Does UE ever make a bakup of settings,? a .bak file? that i can recover?

2. If i do have to manually recreate everything, what can/should i delete to start fresh? i have lots of folders in my \Usenet Explorer\Database\Bodies folder and \Usenet Explorer\Database\Newsgroups folder should i leave, delete or what?

3. After i spend the next 2 hours reconfiguring everything are there files i can manually back up to make a snapshot of my configuration to save me time in the future?

4. Last but not least, I don't suppose it would be fairly trivial to have UE save settings as a XXXX.bak file each time you exit the program that could be recovered? If it's a pain, i understand, but it would sure help out.

BTW THANKS for the error message when someone tries to choose a database as anything other than compact binary.

Thanks,
-Jeff
jsfarmer

Ok, i found a partial answer

Post by jsfarmer »

Of course you find things AFTER you post.

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1749

I found this thread, which mentions the contents of the \Usenet Explorer\Database\Settings folder. It says that the software can make backups of the flt.dat and reg.dat files. Which one contains server and newsgroup subscribed to information?

-Jeff
jsfarmer

I need to go to bed...

Post by jsfarmer »

It looks like all server and newsgroup settings are in the reg.dat file. And here I was worried that it had something do to with my registration info!

After the crash i re-ran the software a couple time in disbelief and trying a couple things to get it back the way it was. Finally i tried renaming the reg.dat file, but a couple of new ones had been created with each start and exit of the software but it turns out the reg.dat.oldest file fixed the problem for me.

I think I'll make an EXTRA copy...
alex

Post by alex »

if it happens from time to time with your computer (usually these are system lockups when the system suddenly went down and didn't commit changes to disk) you can also check properties->general, settings backup, the option is not related to reg.dat.old ... oldest, there is a small performance impact but it is practically not noticeable. i had user reports with the option checked as a rule ue settings will survive system lockups as well.

good you didn't restart ue one more time, reg.dat.oldest would be replaced as well :)
dengle

Post by dengle »

if you are experiencing system lockups/reboots frequently, try scanning your memory for failure.

www.memtest86.com has a bootable iso image.

One thing to note, what I thought was bad memory was actually a bad DIMM socket. If you have memory failure, try switching the memory chip(s) to a new DIMM Slot before replacing the memory.
jsfarmer

Post by jsfarmer »

This was a once a month crash, not a regular thing.

About 18 months ago i was having crashes about daily, or sometimes it would go 3 days or 3 hours. I reloaded EVERYTHING, and still it crashed. Finally I heard about memtest86 and that was it! I had a bad 512 memory chip. (I heard about it on TechTV, sigh)

Good advice always, not my problem this time, but good for anyone who finds this thead later.
bassie

Post by bassie »

computer crash can be caused by hardware.

could be cause by a power supply that has not enough power (because it is not a good brand, or low power output).
One could measure the voltage values during normal operation and during heavier operations (video games).

For examples hard disks can get problems if the voltage is not enough, computer could even not start because the hard disk does not work at too low voltages.
Killer Skunk

Post by Killer Skunk »

bassie wrote:computer crash can be caused by hardware.

could be cause by a power supply that has not enough power (because it is not a good brand, or low power output).
One could measure the voltage values during normal operation and during heavier operations (video games).

For examples hard disks can get problems if the voltage is not enough, computer could even not start because the hard disk does not work at too low voltages.
Or ofcourse by failures of programs.
Like examples global hooking software which aren't destroyed correctly.

This way (I'm a programmer) I already have spy++ crash my windows that bad that even my registry was corrupted.