Speed problem with Giganews

jd

Speed problem with Giganews

Post by jd »

I switched to Giganews yesterday. Now I have the problem that the speed is not what used to have on NH (but they have other issues...). Anyway. I wrote Giganews support and they claim this:
I have reviewed the server logs and it appears that your newsreader is
attempting to open a new connection before it has completely finished
closing a previous connection. This, in turn, is causing you to exceed the
connection limit, drastically slowing down your connection with us.
Usually after 15-30 minutes, the stalled connections should terminate so
that new connections can be started.
I have NO Antivirus or Firewall on this machine. I have tried UE options "Keep connections alive" (it's faster when the checkbox is ticked) and "Force server authentication" (unticked for now). Maybe Alex has an idea what Giganews is doing or how to fix that? When I tested them a couple of month ago they were wicked fast, used my 50Mbit completely. Now I'm thinking of going back to NH.
alex

Post by alex »

UE of course opens connection only after closing a previous one, but closing connections is done asynchronously in winsock (too much trouble otherwise, noone does it synchronously and it is not guarantied even if so), so as the client order is right, the actual sequence on the server side may be different, although most likely they track connections across different servers and introduce their own delay, they have to give some leverage as well.

You can set a connection delay in properties->servers so there will be some additional time given to the server.

Also if you have keep-alive enabled normally very few connections are opened unless they have an issue with broken connections on the server side.

Do you keep connections at maximal allowable limit or less? Try to keep connections, say several less than they allow, if you see the same problem again, they are lying.

Connections also may be not closed by the firewall, claiming it is a newsreader is a bit not grasping the point, maybe the person who answered is one of my "friends" who were in contact with me in the past :)

As to UE it is guarantied it issues (asynchronous) closesocket on every socket timely.

To change Giganews to a different provider is maybe a good idea, irrespective of above :) - but you can find providers higher retention than NH for the same price as their current 45 days retention plan.

UNS has 117 days, NGroups resells UNS but they also add european server, check traceroute to both if the speed is decent (what I noticed NGroups redirects to different UNS pool server, I'm not sure the speed is the same with both). Maybe there are other providers as well, just those are few of those which I'm using to feed the indexing server. Giganews I only know they bothered me with emails proposing to peddle them from UE website in exchange for "lucrative comission".
jd

Post by jd »

Thanks for the clarifaction. That's what I thought. With NH speed was not an issue (IF they had no troubles...). This time I thought I pay a premium and get 100% trouble free fast downloads. But the speed is actually going down on giga. Really bad.
alex

Post by alex »

but they are good in placing ads.

and placing ads is not free.
jd

Post by jd »

Hrm, I have to come back to this. Maybe it is also not their fault. I have re-signed with Newshosting and they give me even worse speed than Giga.

About 1KB/sec!

I tried to find what the cause is. I made local file transfers with Windows and FTP. Those are all fast, eg local FTP gives me like 35MB/sec. I started to download a couple of Linux ISO from around the world. From where I live I easily get like 5.5 MB/sec. I did some speed tests with - all are very fast near my theoretical limit. As far as I know my ISP does not throttle any connections, they are not know for that. I have changed ports but the speed did not change.
alex

Post by alex »

with newshosting i may try to check.

with UNS/NGroups i've just checked both i get about 2MB/s 3 tasks on 2 connections at different locations. if NGroups and UNS have the same speed (NGroups is UNS reseller so it just redirects to UNS server), again, NGroups is preferrable since they also have european server which can fill in missing UNS articles (they had some problem in the past with corrupted msg-id index, i was told it is fixed a month ago but i didn't check it yet and who knows). they both have SSL.

ok i've checked newshosting (only on one connection) it appears the speed fluctuates 0 80 128 240KB/s not good and consistent with your data, so not your connection to blame, i didn't tell you to resubscribe to NH, you can still cancel this?

Josef K knows about whether there are deficiencies of subscribing to NGroups over long term (comparing to UNS) you can ask him through PM, in the past I saw like lower speed when connecting to UNS through NGroups account but right now it looks like the same.

I don't know, maybe to open a section where issues about usenet providers can be discussed impartially, but also situation with them changes from time to time, today fast tomorrow slow or corrupted message-id index or something else.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I wonder which ISP jd uses. The language seems to have some English colloquialisms which would suggest to me Virgin Media as it is the only ISP in this country to provide such a speed - is this the case?

Ngroups I find to have a more decent speed during night time (UK) hours. Speeds through their servers should be compared during day and night downloads. Having said that, I do have a subset in UE with all three of their servers in there so I don't always visually watch individual servers, mostly just overall speeds. However, the above has always been true: the speed dips noticeably during UK daytime/peak hours but picks up (maxing my connection, 20Mb) during the midnight onward hours.
dengle

Post by dengle »

i use giganews as well as UNS. The only thing i have ever seen for both (which could be either a local machine or router issue) is one or two parts are hung at "connecting" for a good 20 seconds. however, i can always max out my bandwidth. i'd definitely try lowering the max connections to 80% of what is allowed. i only use 4 per server and can max out my bandwidth. (3MB/sec)
jd

Post by jd »

It seems the ISP had some strange network errors , or everyone was downloading at the same time, lol. It was just weird to see such a bad speed to both services drop like that. It's much better now.

But I will try out both for a month now and make a final decision. As for the question: I have VDSL 50/10 in Germany :)
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

jd wrote:It seems the ISP had some strange network errors , or everyone was downloading at the same time, lol. It was just weird to see such a bad speed to both services drop like that. It's much better now.
Give everyone a motorway and a fast car and there will still be a traffic jam before long... :D
jd wrote:As for the question: I have VDSL 50/10 in Germany :)
Bah! The reason I mentioned Virgin Media is that they are the only ones trialling 50Mb connections over here. If you'd been on that then you'd have been subject to any issues that would arise from a trial. Soon enough my connection will be upgraded to the 50Mb but, for now, it seems yours is bigger than mine. :oops: