What is...? - Unknown socket error

Bluester

What is Compact Article Storage anyway?

Post by Bluester »

alex wrote:... if you want small article bodies too you need to disable compact article storage in properties->general in the instance from which you copy the files.
I'd like to know what enabling Compact Article Storage does anyway, since I seem to be hitting the limit for maximum bodies stored in the database (When I download and reach having about 20,000 message bodies in the database all my downloads past that point do Aborts with "Error NewsPro - Unknown socket error (112). It goes away for what seems to be a 1:1 ratio of bodies I delete out of the database to downloads that succeed before going back to the same Abort problem), so I'm wondering if changing that would improve anything for me. Thanks!

-Bluester
alex

Post by alex »

normally compact article storage always should be enabled, the option left from very old versions.

unknown socket error is not connected to maximal number of files in the directory (the directory size limit is only is for FAT32 partitions, NTFS doesn't have such a limit).

if you have firewall try to uninstall it temporarily and see whether the error happens again (it comes from something messing with winsock like firewall). if newspro cannot open a file it will produce a relevant error message.
Bluester

OK, it's actually Bluester having a DUH! problem!

Post by Bluester »

alex wrote:normally compact article storage always should be enabled, the option left from very old versions.

unknown socket error is not connected to maximal number of files in the directory (the directory size limit is only is for FAT32 partitions, NTFS doesn't have such a limit).

if you have firewall try to uninstall it temporarily and see whether the error happens again (it comes from something messing with winsock like firewall). if newspro cannot open a file it will produce a relevant error message.
Ehr, actually I do happen to be using a FAT32 partition for the database. Slaps forehead Duh! I'm hitting the 65534 entries limit per directory. I have less files than that in the folder because of course the newsgroup names are result in long filenames for the files each newsgroup uses to keep track of lines, author, subject, date, etc! And, as we know, long filenames take up more entry space in the FAT entry for the directory thus reducing the maximum number of files/directories in the directory they're in.

So there's my problem. I will now move it to NTFS (rather, I'll convert the partition to NTFS) and I'm sure the problem will go away. If not, I'll be back. Thanks for hitting me with a clue-by-four, Alex!

-Bluester
alex

Post by alex »

if newspro cannot open a file it will give a relevant error message, unknown socket error comes from winsock (or rather firewall which controls winsock); all customized newspro errors are in the range 20001 - 20025 but it won't report it as unknown socket error.
Bluester

Problem Solved!

Post by Bluester »

alex wrote:if newspro cannot open a file it will give a relevant error message, unknown socket error comes from winsock (or rather firewall which controls winsock); all customized newspro errors are in the range 20001 - 20025 but it won't report it as unknown socket error.
Sorry to take so long in getting back about this, but I've been a bit busy. Uhm, actually, apparently it will give the unknown socket error when it has run out of directory entries. That is, I now no longer get the error and all I did is convert the drive containing the db from FAT32 to NTFS. Truly no other changes than that. So, for me, problem solved! :D But it is strange that it gave a very inappropriate error message for the problem. :?

-Bluester
sam

Re: Problem Solved!

Post by sam »

Bluester wrote:
alex wrote:if newspro cannot open a file it will give a relevant error message, unknown socket error comes from winsock (or rather firewall which controls winsock); all customized newspro errors are in the range 20001 - 20025 but it won't report it as unknown socket error.
Sorry to take so long in getting back about this, but I've been a bit busy. Uhm, actually, apparently it will give the unknown socket error when it has run out of directory entries. That is, I now no longer get the error and all I did is convert the drive containing the db from FAT32 to NTFS. Truly no other changes than that. So, for me, problem solved! :D But it is strange that it gave a very inappropriate error message for the problem. :?

-Bluester
I normally dont use this forum ever since being told my winsock error was from a socket problem, and it was not.

I just got the 112 error as well, and was wondering if all your message bodies had disappeared as well.

What i mean is you, did you look at any messages and notice that those messages that had had bodies no longer had bodies, or even headers.

I think it will give another winsock error in a similiar instance, with the same problem of no message bodies.

The solution that has worked in the past is to pause downloads, delete a news group, and then start saving messages. Once you delete a group you can see you message bodies, and you can start downloading again, without the winsock error. Pausing the downloads just keeps NP from refilling up before you can save enough posts.

The other bogus winsock error i get is WinSock error (Unknown socket error (1)), but I only get that when the data directory files up to it's limit and pauses downloads.

Yes it is strange that it does give that error message,perhaps the error handling falls thru to it when it cant figure what else to do.

I was not aware of the limit on the number files in a fat directory, other than the root. My data drive is Fat32 also.

Regards.