Reappearing messages

Tiggy626

Reappearing messages

Post by Tiggy626 »

I'm getting several messages that keep reappearing. I delete them, and they appear to be gone, but when I restart UE, they come back.

Is there some way of repairing the database so they go away for good? Otherwise, I suppose I could just delete the newsgroup and re-add it. Hopefully that would fix it.

Thanks,
Tiggy626
alex

Post by alex »

are the headers are crossposted? are you talking about spam?
do you have some automation when newsgroups are loaded on start?

then if you don't redownload all headers better purge them instead (so invoke "purge headers" instead of "delete headers").

if you are referring to spam - there is crossposted kill filter in properties->kill filters, it may well help here.

readding newsgroup won't change anything.
alex

Post by alex »

also if you see those messages also multiplying - in some groups there are bots which are posting messages with the same subjec/author multiple times, they have different message-ids, at least i had to deal with this on the search service side.

but in short i need more details to further advice on it.
Tiggy626

Post by Tiggy626 »

The headers are not cross-posted, and they aren't spam (as far as I can tell).

The message-id's are garbage, and the dates are wrong also, either 1995 or over 2010. There is no subject and the messages appear to have bodies, according to their icon, but trying to view them doesn't work.

I don't think I have the groups auto-loaded, since I have to manually open the newsgroups.

I think the database got corrupted when my PC crashed. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tiggy
alex

Post by alex »

It should handle those things, deleting database is not a good idea.

Can you check this version:

http://www.netwu.com/ue/UE_Bodies+.rar

The theory is false positive because of garbled file while loading bodies and then hit somewhere outside the content file taking some prior data as the reference so it looks consistent from start to start.

Does it work or you still see those messages? I added more checks on range within file and some rudimentary check on the data length, it is on the top of the double checksum check which I thought will be sufficient.

If I had your data I could check it exactly, but if it works now it is resolved then, in the past I saw similar issue with reg.dat if to feed random data into it, checksums are a bit weak, additional data integrity check resolves it completely.
Tiggy626

Post by Tiggy626 »

The problem is still occurring with the new executable, but it is also requesting a serial number. I will try again when I get my new serial number.

If you would like a copy of my data I can send you whatever you need.

Thanks,
Tiggy
alex

Post by alex »

I think I've resolved it.

I've addressed the garbled input issue, but UE also compacts content along with verifying it, so if they made it once - they would persist.

I've found the inconsistency which caused the bodies to be non-deletable because of garbled message-id which has already made it in. This compilation should handle the issue:

http://www.netwu.com/ue/UE_Bodies++.rar
Tiggy626

Post by Tiggy626 »

That did it!!!

The messages are gone!

Thanks so much,
Tiggy