New ZoneAlarm blocks Newspro

Erik

New ZoneAlarm blocks Newspro

Post by Erik »

After installing the Update Newspro could not connect anymore.
It doenst see Newspro connecting, i didnt ask for permission it just blocks it completly. Manually adding it doenst work eather. Installing the old version from Newspro didnt succeeed anymore, nothing happened after setup.

Whats wrong ? Why doesn ZA block NP?
Did someone told Zonealarm they made a very bad mistake?
When do they slove it?
griffpa

Post by griffpa »

I have the same problem. I've never seen anything like it before, and Zone Labs initial response a canned newsreader configuration FAQ (which obviously didn't help.)

Is it possible Newspro is doing something that isn't standard protocol, or could appear to be a security risk to Zone Alarm?
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

Other multiserver newsreaders (Newsbin, BNR2) have had the same type problems with Zone Alarm in the past. The users ended up going to a different firewall.

If Newspro worked with the previous release, how can it be doing something non-standard now?
griffpa

Post by griffpa »

Look at the postings in this search from zone labs forum. It's obvious there is a bug with the new 4.5 upgrade which isn't limited to Newspro. I need to find the prior version and reinstall until the fix 4.5.

(Sort the thread search by date to see the posting in the last few days)

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/sea ... rams&q=4.5
jimzak

ZA Pro

Post by jimzak »

I uninstalled my ZoneAlarm Pro after first configuring it NOT to start with Windows and after a reboot.

I then reinstalled an older version of ZAP.

I'm back in action with NewsPro.

What a pain!

The author of NewsPro is aware of the isssue. He replied to an email I sent him.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Sorry, must be my poor englisch, i mean what you say.
Npo posts te last few months so he is on vacation or programming a new sort newsreader :-) or he left us :-(
Erik

Post by Erik »

I use sysgate now (free) and it works better and looks beteer then ZA.
I mailed ZA but got no responce only a stupd FAQ
bassie

Post by bassie »

I also installed the new version of zonealarm and could not use newspro anymore.

Why is that "pro" standing for?

They even made a kind of space where you could put your secret data in, for example credit card, passwords. Maybe that is an attempt to get these data into their site? Who on earth will put these data inside of the computer? I think also norton antivirus 2004 has some option like that.
Hackers will be dying to get those data from your computer, and zonealarm will probably not be able to stop those hackers. I say, when you cannot trust this new version of firewall, can you trust the next version then?
invalid

Post by invalid »

I had the same problem the other day, uninstalled both newspro and zonealarm, reinstalled the old verison of zone alarm and then reinstalled newspro. voilla..
SteveW

ZoneAlarm and News Pro

Post by SteveW »

ditto ...same problem with new version
Rodent

Re: New ZoneAlarm blocks Newspro

Post by Rodent »

Erik wrote:After installing the Update Newspro could not connect anymore.
It doenst see Newspro connecting, i didnt ask for permission it just blocks it completly. Manually adding it doenst work eather. Installing the old version from Newspro didnt succeeed anymore, nothing happened after setup.
Same here. Reget Pro will not work either, when ZA is running. In fact, my machine reboots after a few minutes if I try to connect with any of these two programs.
Amiga

Post by Amiga »

Zone Alarm V4.5.538.000 works fine here.
Jones

Post by Jones »

Amiga wrote:Zone Alarm V4.5.538.000 works fine here.
And here
Erik

Post by Erik »

Thats quick after 2 months they finally solved it.

But now i dont need it anymore because we have Sygate now, its better then ZA and its also free