Servers not obeying Strict flag. What am I doing wrong?

deadken

Servers not obeying Strict flag. What am I doing wrong?

Post by deadken »

Hello,

I am trying to get my setup working with a server set for only filling.

I have 4 accounts on 1 provider, so I set one to get headers and the others to msg id only. These are all set to priority 2.

So far, so good. This works great.

I also have a limited account on another provider which I only want to use for fills.

I set it to Priority 1 S +NH. Unfortunately, Newspro seems to use it anyway (I am sure its not only using it for fills).

Am I missing any other settings?

Also, if an article is missing from a server, does that also imply the header will be missing, hence I would need headers on the fill server also?

Thanks
Eric

Post by Eric »

First off I would check how many tasks you are allowing for DLs at a time.

If for example each of servers 1-4 can support 2 threads each and you allow 10 DL tasks then servers 5 and beyond will always start up since there are free task slots.

So in this example you could set body tasks to 8 and servers 1-4 would take the brunt and server 5 would activate only when one of the other servers stops and if there are more bodies left to go.

Admitedly this is simplistic, but the example is based on what I gould glen from your situation. If you have other servers beyond these 5 then it would make the situation even more dificult.

Click on edit and then poperties and then the tasks tab to find out how many tasks you allow and then edit them to allow only as many as you need. I would probobly set (from the example above) total tasks to 8 and body to 8.

As for the headers, the answer is it depends. If you DLed the headers and the file simply left the server before you had a chance to get it then you should still have the msg id and be able to get it from the alternative server. However if the server getting the headers does not have the file at all, or a part of the file, then you will not be able to DL it from any other server either since the software does not know what to ask for to retrieve the parts. every part has a (theoreticaly) unique ID number and if you do not know that number you can not ask for it. THat is what MSg isd are doing is asking for that ID number.

Other users may be able to help more if that does nto answer all of your questions. But I hope it helped some.
deadken

Post by deadken »

That indeed seems to be how Newspro is working, but that behavior does not match the Server Priority description on the NewPro web site:
the 'strict' flag prohibits using a server with lower priority while there is a chance to download the article later from a more preferred server. If a server exhausted all its retries - lower priority servers will be used in any case if necessary.
bruce73

Post by bruce73 »

But, deadken, since you don't have the strict flag on your priority 2 servers but only on your priority 1 server, if your number of download tasks exceeds the total number of threads for your priority 2 servers, priority 1 will kick in right away, since there is nothing restricting that, as Eric mentioned.

If you were to apply the strict flag to the priority 2 servers, then, regardless of the number of download tasks allowed, priority 1 server won't be used until all retries on the priority 2 servers are exhausted.

Missing articles on a server can still have their headers present, but whether they would contain the message IDs in order for your priority 1 NH server to possibly download the bodies, I don't know.
deadken

Post by deadken »

Thanks!

That must be what I am doing wrong.

It seems a bit backward to me though. I would think it would be easier to use a flag to tell NewsPro to only use this server for fills, instead of having to mark a higher priority server as not allowing lower priority fills.

Oh well, now I can set it once and forget why!
bruce73

Post by bruce73 »

It seems a bit backward to me though. I would think it would be easier to use a flag to tell NewsPro to only use this server for fills, instead of having to mark a higher priority server as not allowing lower priority fills.
All NewsPro knows is that it has x-number of articles to download with x-number of allowable task slots. So it will use a combination of priority and the number of threads/server to accomplish this, gradually working its way down the priority listing until the maximum number of slots is filled. It doesn't know from what's a fill and what's not. Setting the server to strict will ensure that all possible attempts to download the articles are made from that server before moving on to the next server (regardless of how many article slots could be made available overall).

In my case, I want to max out my BuzzardNews account (1.5G/day) before I use my GigaNews account (10G/month). Since Buzzard lets me have 10 threads, I simply limit the number of article tasks to 10, and set the Buzzard priority higher than GigaNews. I could increase the number of article tasks and set Buzzard to strict, which would accomplish the same thing, I suppose.

Anyway, glad I could help.
Kristi

Post by Kristi »

Thanks for having this thread guys - I wanted to figure out how to set up NP so that it would get everything from one server and just use the second one for fills. Piece of cake!!!
:D :D :D
Kristi
Shuttle AN35N Ultra, XP2600Bart(11.5x400), 512mb, GeF4Ti4200, WinXPproSP1.