brianw

newspro with xp sp2 nto working right

Post by brianw »

I've installed XP sp2 and now newspro isn't combining the parts of a
downloaded post together. I'm only getting one piece of the post when
I save the attachment.

There are no errors its just the downloaded file is missing all put one
part of the post.

Is this a problem with sp2 or is there a setting for this?
brianw

one post worked

Post by brianw »

I was able to download a full post yesterday.

It might be coincedence that I'm have this problem just after installing
service pack 2. Altho another post failed again too.
brianw

still not working

Post by brianw »

Well I tried getting a few more posts and all are failing. I get the first
part of the article and not the rest. It downloads all of the parts. I
can see all of the parts in the newspro data dir but it will not combine
them.

I've tried deleting everything out of the news pro directory and starting
over but that didn't help either.
newspro4me

Post by newspro4me »

I am having the same exact problem. Have yet to figure out what the solution is. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks. :)
alex

Post by alex »

check there is no conflict with the firewall (are you using any firewall?), maybe parts are downloaded corrupted. try to disable or better temporarily uninstall the firewall, redownload all the parts of the partial and try to combine them then.

newspro just uses standard winsock access, nothing that could interfere with the security package, only the application level access, but i guess firewall software is extremely vulnerable to such an update.

also check you didn't disable the partial autosupport in the partial menu then you see parts as separate headers.
newspro4me

Post by newspro4me »

great! Thanks for the advice. I turned off ZoneAlarm(firewall) and everything went back to working properly. The posts saved correctly, all reassembled.
However this raises another problem. I cannot let my computer download large posts for long periods of time without having a working firewall. I hope you can understand where this would be a security issue. I am not sure if there is anything I can do to resove this.
I don't know if this is relevant but I did notice a 'yEnc CRC error (20016)' after enabling the 'detect yenc errors' box. This happend whith ZoneAlarm on but disappered once ZoneAlarm was deactivated.
Thanx again for the help.
newspro4me

Post by newspro4me »

Okay after downgrading zonealarm, issues have disappeared. This is good enough for me until zonelabs fixes this problem. Thanks for the awesome support. Have a good day.
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

It has been documented quited a bit on usenet (news.software.readers) that the latest version of Zone Alarm causes problems with yenc posts in many newsreaders. So you can disable it or get one of the many good as or better firewalls to use. This same thing happened with Zone Alarm about a year and a half ago, so it seems the code that fixed it must have disappeared in this latest release.