UE crashes (avast firewall...)

jimzak

UE crashes (avast firewall...)

Post by jimzak »

I'm using UE 2.2.

I've had about 3 apparent crashes over the last 2-3 weeks while UE was downloading binaries.

On a couple of occasions I got a dialog error with a numerical error code. I had to reboot to get a return of functionality on one of these occasions.

On the latest apparent crash, all downloading and network activity ceased. I closed the program and there were no "Saving...." indicators. I reopened the program, but there was still no network activity and the queue was just frozen. I deleted the queue and attempted to perform any network/internet activity with UE such as updating headers with no results.

I then rebooted my machine and UE worked fine again.

This has not occured until recently.

System:

AMD 64 x 2 4400+
Asus motherboard

Windows XP SP3

Antivirus: Avast Home
Firewall: Online Armor

3 news servers
about 30 connections

-----------------------

Any thoughts?
jimzak

error messages

Post by jimzak »

The crashing behavior appears to be fairly reproducible during heavy binary downloading.

Here are 2 of about 8-10 error messages that piled on top of each other when UE crashed.

http://zzzone.net/files/error1.jpg

http://zzzone.net/files/error2.jpg

In this particular case, closing and reopening the application resolved the issue.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Avast is throwing the error. Does UE still crash with Avast temporarily disabled? If it doesn't crash then, maybe you could add UE to the list of exceptions since we all know it's safe. You can always manually scan each updated UE.exe once after you've extracted it just to keep your mind at ease.
jimzak

thanks

Post by jimzak »

I did as you suggested and all appears well.

Thanks for your assistance.