news provider problem

Joke

news provider problem

Post by Joke »

For a few days now i'm getting this error when i'm trying to download an attachment from an newsgroup. I have tried everything. Even starting with an new database. or another computer.
I'm using new-service.com as profecial newsserver and from that I'm getting the Error 220 0. I dont't have this problem with the newsserver from my ISP.
Can anybody say what is going on here.

m.v.g.
Ruud
alex

Post by alex »

220 is not an error.

what exactly you see in the error string?

the normal response is of the form:

220 [id] [<message id>] article retrieved - head and body follow

is it news-service.com?
Joke

Post by Joke »

The compleet "error":
Mishap<news.news-service.com>Message subject
Error 220 0 <rjl0ppk..........@4ax.com>article

If you need any more info a'm happy to give it to you.
It's a great program.
Joke

Post by Joke »

Some more info.

When I do an reset and an optimize I can download any message with 1 body. If I then download an multi part message I get the Error. And even the message wich where going all right a few seconds a go are getting an Error.
alex

Post by alex »

can you give me newsgroup and post on the server where i can see that?
you can email me if you like.
alex

Post by alex »

i've sent them an email, they gave me test account credentials and i checked it, all is ok, very fast server and all appears to be working, i downloaded a few messages in alt.binaries.sounds.music.classical - no problem at all.

he told me they also fixed the issue with downlading by message-id so message-id direct, xpat etc. should work with no problems there. it is the same service that maintains free search http://alt.binaries.nl

if you have specific info about newsgroups+posts, i could check it here or you can contact the newsserver support (i could check it so you'll be sure it is a server problem not something on your computer).
Joke

Post by Joke »

Thanks for your support. After some testing I already suspected it was een news-service.com problem.
alex

Post by alex »

yes, i see it now, it is a server problem, it sends a junk line before the normal 220 reply. looks like a trivial server bug. i've described them its exact nature, probably they'll let us know when it is fixed.
alex

Post by alex »

ok they fixed it, there is no problem any more.

with another provider it could take weeks or months to fix :)